Thursday, September 5, 2013

Are You Five? Yes. Yes, I am.

This post by Screwy Decimal reminded me of a similar, though not so brutally true, incident I experienced today.

I was observing another librarian's storytime (a serious rockstar librarian, already), trying to keep to myself in the corner out of the way as invisible as I can be as a girl with pink and white hair. During the post-storytime play time, a little girl wanders directly up to me and says almost accusingly, "What are you doing here?"

Me: Watching the librarian's storytime so that I can learn from a master!

Her: Your hair is pink.

Me: Yes it is! It makes me happy.

At this point, I felt it appropriate that we formally meet, so I introduced myself and asked her name, and then how old she was. She proceeded to tell me she was 4 and almost 4 and a half. And after THAT she'd be 5!

Her: "Are you 5?"

I wish, kid.

I wish.

The innocence and absolute cluelessness about how age works was endearing. Even though I am about 5x6+1.... I think I'm going to take a lesson from this little girl and just believe that after 4 and a half, you just stay 5 forever.


No comments:

Post a Comment